I have been so busy with school that I forgot to post Thursday’s thirteen for today. But, like a true trooper, I came home after going to school today and wrote it. Here it is, thirteen things that I’m grateful for:
- My four beautiful, healthy children.
- Being in my right mind.
- Being married.
- Pursuing my dream of becoming a special ed. teacher.
- Being at a great school to make that dream a reality.
- The determination to keep going.
- Having a great husband.
- Even though they get on my nerves, having a family that’s supportive when it counts.
- Strength in the midst of the storm.
- Having tenacity, determination and everything else that makes me who I am.
- Being healthy.
- Freedom to express myself.
- Having a nice home to live in.
I like this book. It reminds me of when I was little and my mother used to braid my hair. It also reminds me of braiding my own daughter, Phillise’s, hair. Initially I read this book to her to get her to let me comb her hair. After that I read it to her so that she could love her hair. When she started going to school and seeing the different types of hair & hair lengths of her friends’, she began to worry that her hair looked different; that it looked too short. She wanted long hair like her Barbie dolls and her friends.
When I found this book, I thought that it was perfect because it addresses the issue of kinkiness and tangles. When she saw the little girl in the book with the braids and beads, she was amazed.
I love that the little girl in the story is cocoa colored like Phillise. She is so happy whenever she sees someone who looks like her in a book. That’s why this book is so perfect. Not only is the little girl the same color, but her hair looks the same.
I would recommend this book to mothers, grandmothers, aunts, etc. of little girls, whether they have kinky hair, fine hair, soft hair or whether they fall somewhere in between with hair like my daughter’s.This book is such a godsend. Run out and get it for a little girl that you know who may be struggling with liking her kinky hair, or who may just need to see herself in a book. If you used to get your hair braided it will take you back!