This is from my workshop with Math whiz Kim Sutton. There are six guiding principles in math:
- ALL math is based on patterns.
- The language of mathematics is spoken here. (Teach students the use of mathematics terms early.)
- Math is filled with constants. (2 x 1 will always be 2 x 1)
- There are no accidents in math.
- Math is the pursuit of laziness. (Teach them the long way first. Once they get that, teach them the short cut.)
- Mathematics teaches the power to persevere.
- Know your stuff,
- Know who you’re stuffing,
- Stuff them elegantly