*Please feel free to give any input on this rubric if you have any!*
I am so ridiculously pleased with myself regarding my assignment. I’ve been thinking about how to put it together for a couple of months now. The reason is because I’m trying to teach my students how to lead their own I.E.P.s so I’ve been teaching them little by little how to do that. I’m not sure how successful I’m being at this because some of the students still don’t know that I.E.P. stands for Individualized Education Program.
I began at the beginning of the year by telling & showing them an actual I.E.P. and explaining what Present Levels of Performance (PLPs) are, what Goals are, how long they have to reach their goal, and what their disability/learning difference is.
I say that I’m not sure how effective I am because the information seems to be going in one ear and out the other, as sometimes happens with students with a learning disability.
One strategy I was using was asking the students 5 Quick Questions. It was 10 questions that I split into two parts because 10 questions at one time seemed to be too much for them. Once I thought about it, 10 questions for the whole week still seem like too much. So, now I’ve cut it down to just 5 Quick Questions for the week. I decided, in order for them to keep the information in their heads, I’m just going to give them the same 5 Quick Questions for the 3 days/week that they come to my Lab and use the best score. This way they don’t have to worry about only seeing the information once and not again for a couple of weeks until I gave them the questions again, nor do they have to worry about getting a bad grade.
I’ll let you know how it works. But, I digress. So back to the lecture at hand. I’ve come up with an assignment that I think will make help the information stick in their heads. Here’s the rubric. (Warning: It’s pretty ugly.) I say that it’s pretty ugly because it’s long. However, there is a method to my madness. Although there’s still some fine tuning I need to do, my plan is to break in into parts.
MOCK I.E.P. Rubric
OBJECTIVE: The objective of this assignment is for students to be able to:
- understand the roles of all members in an I.E.P.
- understand who the members of the I.E.P. team are.
- feel comfortable enough to conduct their own I.E.P.
- understand the components of an I.E.P. (Present Levels of Performance (PLP), Goals, Individual Transition Plan (ITP), Disability)
The presentation needs a minimum of 10 elements that has to include:
- Inclusion of all team members (5 pts.)
- Introduction of all team members (5-7 pts. [1 for each person])
- The purpose of the meeting [Annual (1 yr.), Triennial (3 yr.), Amendment (When you’re making changes)- (1 pt.)
- Signing the attendance page (1 pt. for each person)
- Student’s disability (1-2 slide)
- DIS Personnel (Social-Emotional Counselor, Speech Teacher, Nurse, School Psychologist)
- Symptoms of the disability
- School Counselor- (2 pt.)
- Graduation Progress
- General Education Teacher (3 pt.)
- Resource Teacher (Previous goals met, PLPs, Goals, Test Scores, Work samples, Least Restrictive Environment, Individual Transition Plan)- (4-6 pts.)
- F.A.P.E. offer (2- pt.)
- How many minutes of Resource Lab support inside & outside the Resource Lab (if applicable)
- How many minutes of counseling (if applicable)
- How many minutes of Language & Speech services (if applicable)
- If not in Resource Lab, how many minutes outside of Resource Lab? (if applicable)
- Recommendations for the student (1 pt. per person [one for each member])
(Rubric is still a work in progress)
|Presentation has all required slides & elements||Presentation has most of the required sides||Presentation has some of the required slides||Presentation has almost none of the required element.|
-Less than 6 Elements
|Mechanics:||-Less than 3 grammatical/
|-Less than 4
|-Less than 5 grammatical/
|-More than 6+ grammatical/
|Speaking skills/Delivery:||-Maintains eye contact.
-Presenter stands up straight, faces audience, & doesn’t fidget
-References notes but does not read from them
|-Consistent eye contact, but still returns to notes
-Speaks with satisfactory volume
-References notes some of the time
|-Minimal eye contact while most reading notes
-Speaks in uneven volume with little to no inflection
|-No eye contact
-Reads entire report read from notes
-Speaks in low volume
-Speaks in monotone voice
Self-Assessment: For each of the criteria above, score yourself 1-4 based on your assignment. After you have assigned yourself points, complete the sentence starters.
- I gave myself a _________ for delivery on this assignment because ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
- I gave myself a _________ for content on this assignment because _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________