At the Teach Plus PD I attended, we also learned about the 3 Levels of Questions. Each level called for the students to use critical thinking, analysis, & synthesis.
These are Level 1 Questions, which are answers that can be found in the text; facts (fully and clearly expressed; leaving nothing implied)
- What were Cinderella’s slippers made out of?
- How did Cinderella get to the ball?
Level 2 questions use analysis & inference.
- Why does Cinderella’s stepmother care whether or not she goes to the ball?
- Why did everything turn back the way it was except the glass slipper?
- Why don’t the step sisters like Cinderella?
Level 3 questions or Synthesis, go beyond the text to inquire into the value, importance and application of the information presented. This level focuses on The Big Idea.
- Does a woman’s salvation always lie with a man?
- What does it mean to live happily ever after?
- Does good always overcome evil?
Using these levels of questions helped me to better structure my lessons and add more rigor.