Early in the school year I was out on sick leave. I thought about my reason for being on leave- stress! The problem was that I didn’t ask for help. I thought that my students could possibly be experiencing the same thing. That’s when I got the idea to give my students an outlet to express their feelings before they go crazy.
We established some Vegas rules!
- What happens/is discussed during trust circle, stays in trust circle.
- It has to be student led.
- I can’t do any teaching that day.
- Everyone has to participate.
- Only the person with the talking stick can speak.
Here’s a picture of the talking stick I bought. A leader is chosen the week before, while the topic is decided the day of. I had three “enforcers” who keep the students quiet and get them to participate. It worked out well because the students were able to let off some steam and have fun at the same time. This is something I’ll be doing from years to come. I’ll keep you updated!