One of my favorite lines from the movie, Jersey Girl, is when Liv Tyler’s character says that she always wanted to be an uptown girl; that she always wanted people to look at her and think that she’s an important person with her nice clothes on, and her good job, etc. Well, just like her, I always wanted the same thing. I wanted to be a Ladera Girl (It’s a well to do Black area in L.A.). I wanted to be the person that some little girl looked up to because of my nice clothes, important jobs, & because I was simply gorgeous.
While I may not be the “Ladera Girl”, I am the ME I always wanted to be; I just didn’t know it. I had to stop and think about it for a minute. That’s when I thought about ME- my habits, my triumphs, my goals, my strengths, & my weaknesses. I thought of ALL that I am, and I was pretty pleased with myself and all that I’ve accomplished.
During all of my many hardships and accomplishments, I’ve become a person that I am quite proud of. Looking back on my life and seeing how I’ve developed, words cannot adequately express how proud I am of myself.
During one of the hardest times in my life- my greatest time of stress- I managed to graduate with a B.A. & a Master’s degree, become a better person, overcome many personal obstacles that had kept me down for so long, and discover many good things about myself that I didn’t know.
Even though I’ve learned to take the good with the bad, looking back on my life makes me, sometimes, wish that I would have had an easier life. However, I know that if I would have, I wouldn’t be the person that I am today. And I have to say that I really like the ME I’ve become. I’m the ME that I’ve always wanted to be. I just didn’t know it while I was busy wishing to be the “Ladera Girl”!
So, piggybacking off of the above, here are some positive and negative traits I’ve discovered about myself that I’m perfectly happy about:
My Negative Traits
- I did not give my all to two of my students this year.
- When I’ve had too much interaction with people, I get overwhelmed.
- I sometimes shut down when I get overwhelmed.
My Positive Traits
- I’m a very hard worker with an excellent work ethic.
- I do NOT give up. I’m not a quitter. At times I’ve wanted to give up, but something in me would not let me.
- I give my all. If someone is not getting my all, then something is wrong. I ask myself why this person is not getting my all. Why did I back off of this person?
- Piggybacking off of #3, I love my family and give my all to them.
- I love taking care of my family.
- I’m a good mother, sister, aunt, and daughter.
- I’m a great cook. I love cooking.
That’s it for now. If I can think of anything else, I’ll write more. Bye for now!